Friday 22 July 2011

More Cake Making

It was my nephew's Birthday today and his mum and dad asked me to make this Xbox controller cake for him. I'm not best pleased with it to be honest. It looks a bit too tall and not wide enough but dad was pleased with it, so what's done is done.



I've been making cakes for the last few months to save some pennies for University, however, I've probably only just about broke even once all the materials, ingredients, gas and electirc have been added up. That's not counting the hours I spend baking and decorating them. I have 3 more cakes to do next week and maybe one or two in August, then I think that will be my lot. I won't be able to make them once I start University as they are so time consuming. It was fun while it lasted and I'll hopefully still be able to make my own childrens cakes.

It has taught me a few things though. Cake making is expensive and people want something for nothing. They expect a cake that has the quality of a "cake shop" but think because it's from a friend, they will be charged the same price as  a cake from a supermarket.  While I do enjoy making cakes, they take hours to make and while I love my friends and family, I am hard pressed making a cake that will not cover my expenses, never mind standing 6+ hours and stressing that I will do the cake justice. 

Oops, more moaning from me but I feel better now that's off my chest!

No comments:

Post a Comment